Taha: My College Experience and What I Have Learnt

At the start of my First Year at Cadbury Sixth Form College things were complicated; it seemed that the skills I learnt from Oldbury Academy were not enough to prepare me for the transition to college life.   As such, it took me quite a while to adapt. 

Eventually I got used to the idea of doing independent learning (revision) every week rather than a week or two before my exam (which I did during my GCSE's). During the first few months of college I found out that I have dyslexia which was a major shock to me as I did not really suspect that I had a so called "learning difficulty", but eventually things like not having the best memory or spelling started to make sense. I was granted extra time during exams to accommodate my dyslexia.  Despite being granted extra time, I decided that I had to put in more effort and work harder (a concept that took some getting used to considering my lazy habits and love of procrastination...!).

The thing that I look forward to the most about college is learning. I am a curious individual with a genuine interest in my subjects. The thing you need to take advantage of when at college is the freedom and the independence. By this I mean the freedom to choose any subject you want to study, choose what coursework topic you will focus on, choose an enrichment activity that you are interested in and choose what societies and extra-curricular activities you will get involved in.  If you are interested in what you do, you will tend to work harder and therefore should achieve the grade you want and deserve.

During college I have learnt to ask teachers questions whenever I can. It's a privilege to be able to learn and develop in small classes, so it is important to make the most of this while you can.  The importance of independent research is something I also see as important during college and will become more important during university.