Isobel: A New Beginning

Hi everyone,

Let me start by introducing myself; my name is Isobel and this is my first post as a student blogger. I started at Cadbury Sixth Form College in September 2015, and so far, things have been going really well. I studied GCSEs at Hall Green Secondary School, and although I loved my time there, I was so excited to start college life.

Along with wanting to document and remember my journey over these next two years, I wanted to help make the transition for prospective students easier by allowing you to read about my own experiences. I cannot wait to see where this path leads me, so why not come along with me?

I am studying A-Level Geography and Textiles, and BTEC Digital Arts. I switched one of my original courses a few weeks after starting college as I decided it wasn’t right for me. It is incredibly important to know that if you are doing something that you don’t completely love and don’t feel as though you can put all of your effort into it, then go out of your way to make a difference about it. The sooner you do it, the better it will be. Therefore, it’s okay if you realise that you made the wrong decision with your courses. As long as there is the ability to do so and the decision is practical, staff here are incredibly supportive of the choices you make. These two years are all about you and helping you head in the right direction for your future.

Why Cadbury? 
Out of all of the colleges and sixth forms that I looked at in year 11, none of them made me feel as welcomed as Cadbury. Staff and students respect each other and I love how you are finally treated like an adult. You have the freedom to choose how you spend your free time (even if you are told it should be for studying – you’ve got to have some fun meeting new people and with your friends, right?!). But it’s about finding the balance, using all the time you have effectively and efficiently. Staying organised and on-top of everything is the key to making sure that you get the best out of your College life, and it will definitely make you feel less stressed.

Starting in a new environment can be scary and exciting at the same time. I was unsure where I’d fit in, whether I’d be able to cope with the work and whether I’d miss my old school too much. But, if I’m completely honest, I’ve had the best start possible. It almost feels as though I’ve been here for months. Also, making new friends can be daunting. But over time you learn more about people, find out your similarities and differences and you’ll hopefully find friendships that you’ll want to keep forever.

I didn’t think that I’d be going on trips already with college, but on Wednesday 14th October I went on a trip for my Textiles course to the Tate Modern in London. We visited an exhibition called The World Goes Pop – it was brilliant and inspirational. It has definitely helped me with my work, but more than anything it was great to spend the day with new people from college that I’ve never spoken to before.



Thank you for reading my first blog post. I hope you enjoyed it and fingers crossed I’ve managed to put some things about starting college into perspective. I’ll be back next month with another post!

Bye for now,

Isobel